Full Stack Ruby on Rails Developer
Contribute to the development of online communities that help young people explore career opportunities
Start Date: Immediate
Contract: 3-6 months
Location: Burlington, ON
Compensation: Competitive and negotiable
HIEC is an innovative not-for-profit social enterprise that focuses on partnership, mentorship and workforce development in Ontario. With 27 years of experience as an active community-focused organization, HIEC’s goal is to enhance career education and inspire youth to make informed career decisions. We offer a team environment that encourages innovative ideas and an entrepreneurial spirit.
HIEC is seeking a highly-motivated and creative web developer with knowledge of modern software stacks. Your primary focus will be development and management of two online communities:
- ApprenticeSearch.com, an online platform that helps job seekers connect with skilled trades employers
- EmployerRegistry.ca, a platform that makes it easy for employers to get involved in high school experiential learning programs
Successful candidates will require knowledge of both front-end and back-end development using Ruby on Rails, Postgresql, Vue and/or React, git or other versioning control systems, and testing frameworks. Experience in UI/UX and web design an asset. This position is ideally suited for programmers looking to take on a creative, public-facing project that will have an immediate and positive community impact while continuing to learn and build new skills.
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
• Writing reusable, testable, and efficient code
• Design and implementation of key functionality and features supporting HIEC’s programs and their mandates
• Integration of user-facing elements with server side logic to best support skilled trades connectivity
• Implementation of security and data protection
• Working with the HIEC team to further develop programs and initiatives that help young people find and explore career paths
• Supporting HIEC and its use of technology and online connectivity on a day-to-day basis
Qualifications to succeed:
• Creative, helpful and self-motivated attitude toward work
• Passion for projects that help people
• Knowledge of full stack programming, and willingness to continue to learn and build new skills working with mentors
• Able to integrate multiple data sources and databases into one system
• Understanding of accessibility and security compliance
• Knowledge of user authentication and authorization between multiple systems, servers, and environments
• Understanding of fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
• Understanding of the differences between multiple delivery platforms, such as mobile vs desktop, and optimizing output to match the specific platform
• Able to create database schemas that represent and support business processes
• Strong unit test and debugging skills
• Proficient understanding of code versioning tools such as Git and Bitbucket
Qualified and interested candidates are requested to apply via email.
We thank all applicants for applying; however, only selected applicants will be contacted for a preliminary interview.
To apply, send cover letter, résumé and examples of past work to email@example.com. Direct any questions about this opportunity to the same address.